The joint which connects the jaw to the skull is called the temporomandibular joint. It is responsible for the movement of the jaw. Pain in the jaw and facial muscles, impairing jaw movement, occurs due to Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD).
Causes of Jaw Pain
- JInjury to the jaw or the face muscles.
- Arthritis in the facial joints.
- Movement of the disc between the ball and the socket of temporomandibular joint.
- Grinding or clenching of teeth.
- Too much stress.
- Accident or injuryThe lower jaw is named the mandible while the upper jaw is called the maxilla. The upper jaw is fixed, whereas the lower one in mobile. Movement of the lower jaw helps us to talk, chew, etc. It is connected to four muscles: masseter, temporalis, medial pterygoid and lateral pterygoid; each occurring in pairs, on each side of the skull, working together to facilitate lower jaw movement.
Symptoms of Jaw Pain
- Locking of the jaw.
- Swelling of jaw muscles.
- Difficulty in opening the mouth wide.
- Pain while chewing.
- Ringing in the ears.
- Impaired vision and balance.
Treatment for Jaw Pain
Jaw pain renders talking and chewing food to be very troublesome. Minor pain subsides with home remedies like ice packs and massage. But if the pain persists, medical attention is advised because the pain could be an arthritic pain. Accidents or injuries can also cause dislocation in the jaw which demands immediate medical attention.
Chiropractic treatment for this condition can involve one or more of the following:
- Gentle adjustments and myofascial release reduces muscle tension, nerve irritation and improve mobility of the jaw.
- Exercise and nutritional supplements speed up the process of recovery
- Change in lifestyle reduces stress to the jaw area, speeds up recovery and prevents further damage.
Scientific way to tackle Jaw Pain
The revolution in chiropractic treatment has been the Sigma Adjuster which holds the power of curing dislocation and joint pain. The Sigma Adjuster is a computerized equipment which enables the practitioner to locate the point of diclocation or misalignment of bones with pinpoint accuracy. The Adjuster provides graonic details of the anomaly and is and upon diagnosis can be used to correct the problem. It applies gentle mechanical pressure upon the problem area to relieve tension of the muscles, realign the dislocated bones and put an end to the pain.
Jaw pain one of the most common ailments today, affecting multitudes with women being more vulnerable to it than men. With timely treatment, the pain goes away without any damage to the teeth or the jaw. With deferred treatment, the pain and the problem complicate, erode the teeth and jaw joint and impairs chewing, talking, etc.
Although home remedies work perfectly for minor discomforts, serious and persistent pain demands medical attention. With the Sigma Adjuster, PPHC has treated thousands of patients with jaw pain to cure them permanently of their ailment. Call us now to get yourself a pain free life with no side effects of conventional medicine.